Belgian national park shut in hunt for far-right soldier
Belgian authorities have closed a national park near the Dutch border as the search for a heavily armed soldier with far-right views continues.
Dutch and German police are supporting the hundreds of Belgian officers and soldiers involved in the manhunt.
The suspect, a military shooting instructor named as Jurgen Conings, went missing on Monday after taking weapons from a barracks.
He is said to have made threats in the past against a top Belgian virologist.
Marc Van Ranst, who led Belgium's public health response to coronavirus, has been taken to a safe place with his family.
The Belgian federal public prosecutor's office has said it believes the suspect is still alive.
On Thursday, Defence Minister Ludivine Dedonder said the suspect had been identified by Belgian military intelligence for suspected ties to the far right as early as 2019. Last summer, the ministry filed a complaint against him for racist comments he posted online.